Thursday, January 29, 2009

everything i know about life, i learned from drawing

I'm not sure where I found this little poem, but I've kept it for years! It inspires me to not take art quite so seriously and to just 'dig in' and create.

Everything I Know About Life, I Learned From Drawing:
Always carry a pen.
The best way is to be still.
Everyone can do it, except those people
who say they can't.
Forget your eraser. There are no
mistakes. Only lessons.
Don't do it for fame. Do it for you.
Don't seek beauty. See it.
Everyone's perfect pen is different.
Learn from others. But don't be an
imitation.
No books, no teachers, no system, can
teach you as much as practice.
If you don't like a drawing, turn the
page and do another.
Study how kids do it.
A forest is just a lot of trees. A tree is
just a lot of leaves. And you
know how to draw a leaf.
Value everything you make.
Give your drawings away.
If you can do it perfectly, it's boring.
It's all about the Now. That's why it's
called a drawing, not a drawn.
Know when to stop.
-Danny Gregory

{the cutest and quirkiest little birdie doodles by Kate Wilson}

No comments: